1. Position the oven rack to the lower third of the oven. Preheat
the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or
whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
Add the cream of tartar and increase mixer speed to medium-high.
Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, but are not dry, then
add the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 1 minute.
Add the vanilla. Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30
4. With a tablespoon, drop mounds of meringue in a ring around
the edge of the filling, then fill in the center. With the back
of a tablespoon, spread the meringue to COMPLETELY cover the filling.
Swirl the meringue with the back of the tablespoon to form peaks.
5. Bake the pie in a 400-degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until
lightly brown. Cool the pie away from drafts. A chill may cause
the meringue to fall. Do not cut the pie until it is completely
To prevent meringue from weeping:
- Blend in the sugar slowly.
- Spread the meringue on the filling while the filling is still
- Seal the meringue onto the very edge of the pie.
- Leave no trace of filling uncovered.
- Do not overbake.